08 May 2011

Top 5 Most Influentual Skateboarders Of All Time

I've been lucky enough to be riding this skateboard of mine for 20 some-odd years now and feel blessed to have been influenced in many ways by the skaters I have known and loved. And while I have a few personal favorites, skaters whom I emulate both on and off board, I'll do my best to avoid personal favorites and be as unbiased as I can be whilst illuminating the general skate public on whom I think have influenced skateboarders, and by extension, popular culture, over the years. My strongest argument for the list I am about to unveil is that these guys were doing what we do now many years before we figured out how rad they were...so, better late than never.

5. Listen, I'm gonna give credit where credit is due, this guy has the best frontside flips in history, and the mark to beat in that category, but there were guys before his time that laid out the framework and made it all possible. That man is number five on my list, but number one in my heart and influence, and he's a name you might not expect.
Let's go down the list: Varial heels, front foot Impossibles, double-tweaked tuck knee Japans, nollie big heels, OG frontside flips, kickflip late shove it...figured it out yet?
Alex Moul did those tricks years before they were perfected, and continues to have the gnarliest, caughten and Kung Fu style when he does them, let this profile of Mouly do all the talking, it explains it all about my most influential skater.

No comments: