03 October 2009

Top 6 most unique video parts in recent memory

"THE MAGIC OF EFFORTLESS GLIDING"


I've been pondering some more video imbed lists of skateboarding trivia and lore, and decided a while back I wanted to do lists of the most awkward songs for a video part, and a list of the most eclectic and unique video parts, and after seeing the video part I just saw, I'm gonna hafta do the Unique list first off, with a last second upset for the win...I present the 6 most unique video parts in recent memory:



6. Back in the early 90's, it was all the rage to try all those double-flippin', crop dustin', mobbed out helicopter flips, and as ridiculous as those attempts got back then, they don't even come close to the ridiculousness of this dood, the absolute master of multiple revolution mystery flips. He was in an early Birdhouse video or two and his name was Brent Marks. I personally witnessed a flawless triple heelflip over the pyramid at SPOT, (have video of it still,) and two of his tricks in this part (with his brother Rodd making a cameo appearance) are filmed on our pyramid hip at Evans Park in Brandon, circa 1991. Wince away:


5. Okay Richie Jackson here you go, of course you are on the list...this one is the "gimme" for a list of this sort. This dood has fully committed to the bohemian concept and his flare is outta control, the pants are ass-huggin' (not in a girl jeans way but in a hip hugger way) and straight 60's, he's the ultimate flower child on a skateboard, and I bet next year he raises the bar and skates barefoot all the time...first comes his part from Death Skateboards "Escape from Boredom", the first part I had seen of him, and to me, the best still.



From the recent TWS vid "And Now"



4. Absolutely had to have Gou Miyagi in this list if is at all to be legit, this guy has a fondness for round rails like I've never seen, and he skates the craziest spots in Asia...if this is your first time seeing this part I'll be back with your jaw after I scoop it up from the floor and dust it off, no talky talky, watch and learn:


3. The original inspiration for this list, and the first to coin the phrase "circus tricks." His tricks are unexplainable, his music is epic, and his ender is pretty damn impressive, enough to get him a cover of TWS. Guessing this dood was a gymnast or some shit in high school. Another unique approach to boardriding. From the Hollerado video, it's William Spencer.


In this bonus part from the more recent Denver Shop video "In Color", William addresses the "legit skaters" who would dare to clown his "circus tricks"



2. Almir Jusovic, I'm pretty sure he's Slovakian, and his music is pretty awkward as well, if I could understand any of it, anyhow, someone never got around to wrecking this kid for continuing to buttboard way past his 10th year of life, and now he's taken it to ridiculous lengths. No words do it justice so just watch this craziness:


#1...this part absolutely blew me away, for reasons that can only be viewed, descriptions fail the radness that is Vamo Anda from Italy...prepare to be humbled.


I know I am missing some even crazier skate parts, I would include for honorable mention Sergio Salgado aka "Filoko" from Chile, the entire Beez video series, maybe mention Todd Falcon, and of course those pressure flip combos from Sherwood, leave a comment if I've missed any, oh and I had to include the pioneer of skateboarding weirdness, couldn't leave this out.


That is indeed, the magic of effortless gliding...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi man big up for your blog,it's very nice! i want to buy an old school camera, i want something like dan wolfe's camera used for the eastern exposure or NY revisited. Could you tell me what camera he used or something like that? Thx a lot
peace from france